Saturday, February 13, 2010

Where to start...

What an absolutely insane four weeks! Let's see... where to start, where to start..

Katelyn's birthday was the 22nd and it's the party year. Our kids get a friends party every other year and this is it. ( I really need to switch it up so I don't have 3 parties in 2 weeks!) Anyways, she decided on an at home fondue party. She invited 13 girls and I think 11 showed up. We did a fondue dinner and games and they watched a movie. All in all, it was the easiest b.day party I have ever thrown! The girls were great and all seemed to have a good time. Most had never had fondue which made it so funny.... they didn't know what to do with the little fondue forks!

We had a few days to recoup. from that party and then it was Sierra's turn. She turned 6 just 6 days later and we had a tea party with 6 of her friends (are you sensing a theme here?) Dress up, fancy food, the works! It was slightly more work than Katelyn's but not too much as the girls were once again- amazing. My friend Kris came and helped me out and that saved me-thanks Kris!

That night it started snowing--a lot! We woke up Saturday to several inches and it just kept coming. I think we got somewhere between 6 and 12 inches. Since it very rarely(they tell us)does that here, it takes a while to get all the roads clear and subsequently, church was canceled. The kids were off all week(except for the short day on Thurs) as Friday we were hit with another snow (really? it hardly ever does that here?) We got another 12+ inches and church was canceled again. We celebrated Josh's 11th b.day during that snow and the kids had a grand time sledding and snow fort building. Because of that snow, school was out most of last week too. (see why I've been so busy?!) I think the kids went to school 2 days last week. 2 Glorious-although short-days.

Our neighbor's husband passed away not long ago and after the big snow, the whole circle turned out to shovel her driveway. Very cool!

Now, we're prepping for another b.day party. This time, I gave in and Josh's is at the local laser tag playground. He's pretty stoked. I'm nervous that I'll love this too much and never want to go back to the parties at home thing.

Fingers crossed for 5 full school days this week! I need to get things back together before they're out for spring break!

A few weeks ago, Katelyn auditioned for the All District Band. Sixth thru eighth grade band students can audition to play in the district concert(thus the name) It's pretty tough to get in and she was pretty nervous. She made it! Woohoo! She was one of 7 french horn players in the band. The concert was originally supposed to be last weekend, but because of the snow, it was today. She spent all Friday in rehearsals. The school bused the kids(7 from our school I think) at 10:30am (there was a 2 hr. delay) and the kids all got back around 5:45. Then it was back again this am for a few more hours of rehearsals. We had to have her there before 10 and the concert was at 3. It was phenomenal! They sounded amazing--especially since they only first saw the music yesterday. Bary shot some video-I'll try and get it up soon.

Also this week was cub scout pack meeting and Josh received his Arrow of Light award and crossed over into scouts. He was pretty stoked. He kept saying all night that he couldn't believe he was done with cubs and going into scouting.. ME EITHER! yikes.. not sure I'm ready for the campouts and all that accompanies him growing up.

Somewhere else in the jumble of the past few weeks, Sierra (who got a chef hat and apron for her birthday) decided to make Bary breakfast in bed (mom too, but she got up too early-darn her!) It was too cute!

And since I'm lacking pictures of our most recent adventures, here are 2 randomish ones.

The kids to this point had never tried spray out of a can cheese. I know! How sad is that. (p.s. they loved it. Well, except Josh).

When my folks were here Bary and my Dad built a workbench in the garage. Here is the finished product. Thanks Dad!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Looks like a lot of fun! You have got to get Sierra's party on the "other" year and give yourself a break in between Katelyn and Josh. She might just have to get a bonus party next year.

By the way, you have WAY more snow than us - of course any snow would be more than zero.

Ash said...

So just to clarify! I am not going to san francisco - that picture of me on tv with really short hair was from 2008!! (old blog post!) You are too funny! And I still need a hair cut - soon - I'll get in touch!